Winner of the 2008 International Bluegrass Music Association Collaborative Recording of the Year
Swift River Music is a record label and an audio production service. Based in Nashville, TN, we draw from a very deep pool of talented musicians for our production projects for artists and clients alike.
Owner, recording artist, and producer, Andy May, personally produces all client projects. With years of production experience under his belt, he knows how to capture the essence of the artist and their music in the studio. ⇨ Learn More
He is the epitome of “professional.” …When he comes in, he’s prepared— he’s thought about the things that he’s going to be doing.
The first thing he wants to do is have a meeting, …which is always great, because, that way, when we start the day, we’re completely aware of what our goal is at the end of the day and what we want to accomplish, and we have an actual game plan.
Andy …is a total pro, and I enjoy working with him.— Nathan Smith, Owner and sound engineer, Mainframe Recording Studio
If needed, Andy works with clients in “pre-studio prep sessions” to make sure they are comfortable with the material and know what they will need to do during the recording sessions. Doing this prep work saves money in the long run, by allowing the most efficient use of in-studio time. ⇨ Learn more
Sometimes clients need material for their session or have a song idea that needs fleshing out before it’s recorded. Andy can help on both counts! ⇨ Learn more
In the Studio
As producer, Andy draws on his background as a recording artist, band leader, award-winning instrumentalist, and performer as well as an arts educator, instructor, and mentor. Throughout the whole studio experience, he provides just the right amount of support to clients to meet their level of comfort with laying down tracks.
Being based in Music City has its advantages: We record with top-notch sound engineers at state-of-the-art Nashville studios that are little off the beaten track and right on the cutting edge. The supporting musicians we use on our projects are among the best in the world.
Some of the musicians who have contributed to Swift River Music recordings:
- Bass: Bob Burns – Dennis Crouch – Tim Dishman – Steve Mackey – Jeremy Shearer – Dow Tomlin
- Banjo: Charlie Cushman – Jim Heffernan – Curtis McPeake – Dave Talbot
- Fiddle/strings: Tim Crouch – Craig Fletcher – Aubrey Haynie – Randy Howard – Kenny Kosek – Eric Levine – Jonathan Yudkin
- Guitar: Charlie Cushman – Jim Heffernan – Chris Leuzinger– Andy May – Mike Noble – Danny Parks – Jim Rooney
- Harmonica: Buddy Greene – Kirk “Jelly Roll” Johnson
- Mandolin: Dave Harvey – Andy May
- Pedal Steel, Lap Steel: Dan Dugmore – Jim Heffernan – Hal Rugg
- Percussion: John Gardner – Steve Holland – Kenny Malone – Nathan Smith
- Piano/keyboards/organ/accordion: Rick Lee – Rodger Morris – Jeff Taylor
- Resonator Guitar: Dan Dugmore – Craig Fletcher – Jim Heffernan – Hal Rugg
- Vocals: Brittany Allyn – Tim Dishman – Craig Fletcher – Joanie Keller Johnson – Bruce Mackay – Larry Marrs – Andy May – Curtis McPeake – Alan Morrell – Maura O’Connell – Dennis Parker – Odessa Settles – Darrin Vincent
At Swift River Music, it’s still all about the music: Americana Music!
Our artists are hand-picked writers and performers who have something unique to share. Some are legends. Some are just starting out. Some are folk, or bluegrass, or country, or country rock – some are a little bit of all these and more. But all are rooted in the vast, rich heritage of traditional American music.
Winner of the IBMA Recorded Event of the Year (now called the Collaborative Recording of the Year) for the album, Everett Lilly and Everybody and their Brother, the label is also home to recordings by bluegrass legend Curtis McPeake.