- This event has passed.
Andy May Panelist at IBMA Annual Business Conference
September 25 @ 1:00 PM - 1:50 PM
International Bluegrass Music Association Business Conference Panel: “Planting Grass Seeds—Approaches for Youth Bluegrass Education and Outreach”
A panel discussion featuring the perspectives of educators, performers, and community leaders involved with exposing youth musicians to bluegrass music. Topics will include “first exposures” for youths and families unfamiliar with bluegrass, considerations for community youth jams, approaches to organizing a youth bluegrass band, bluegrass programs for schools/museums/libraries, ideas for introducing youth students to the broader bluegrass community, and considerations for developing young players at the high school and college levels.
- Jef Walter (Moderator): Band Coach and Founder, The Carolina PineCones youth bluegrass band
- Brett Martin: Executive Director, Junior Appalachian Musicians, Inc (JAM)
- Hank Smith: Hank, Pattie, & the Current; University of North Carolina
- Scott Napier: HCTC’s Kentucky School of Bluegrass & Traditional Music; The Lost & Found Bluegrass band
- Tatiana Hargreaves: Performer/Instructor
- Andy May: Director, Acoustic Kids Showcases; Owner/Producer, Swift River Music; Performer; Educator